Older News at FARP:
Announcement: If you see a tutorial with large blank areas, it's just that the text is all white. Please use the contact form to send us the URL of the glitchy tutorial, and we will try to fix it ASAP. In the meantime, the tutorials should still print out OK. News & Updates
July 17, 2006
In the Art Section
- Skin Tones by Stephanie Shimerdla
July 10, 2006
July 6, 2006
October 1, 2005
In the Art Section
- Drawing Celtic Knots by Meike de Nooy. (This article was 'lost' and has been re-linked now!)
November 28, 2004
July 8, 2004
Finally some updates to add to the list. Some of these have been uploaded for months, but were never linked to from the main pages.
April 14, 2004
Sorry for not updating last month. It is not the fault of the contributors (who got most of these articles turned in last month.)
Read Old News
- April 14, 2004
- February 7, 2004
- All prospective writers, and especially writers currently working on articles for FARP (and also FARP editors), please be aware of the new FARP tags that go with the new Elfwood site layout as explained on the Writing for FARP page. The old FARPSTART and FARPEND tags will no longer work.
- January 08, 04:
- December 30, 03 - A long overdue update:
- October 21, 03 - New Tutorial:
- October 6, 03 - A big update in The Art section:
- August 15, 03 - A large update for The Writing section:
- July 25, 03 - Adding many new tutorials
- Jun 15, 03 - Another new tutorial
- May 12, 03 - Added three new tutorials
- Apr 14, 03 - Added Elfwood Survival Guides:
- Mar 25, 03 - Added excellent new tutorial
- Mar 17, 03 - One update and a new photo reference
- Mar 14, 03 - Tara Funk and Michael Liljenberg take over as FARP co-editors
- 020910 - Added Myth Influences on Fantasy Art by Crissy Gottberg
- 020910 - Added Trees & Foliage by Alisa Tatiana Simonoff
- 020910 - Added Oil Pastel by May-Lin Iversen Demetriou
- 010612 - Removed Fantasy Constructor Kit(TM) by wish from Mikhail Shvyryev
- 010611 - Added Figure Drawing: Basic Pose and Construction by William Li
- 010510 - Updated Figures and Costumes via References by Janet J.E. Chui
- 010510 - Added Fantasy Constructor Kit(TM) - Create a best-selling Fantasy Novel In 15 Minutes! translated by Mikhail Shvyryev
- 010510 - Added Don't Be Afraid to Shade! Dramatic use of Darks and Lights by Danielle Williams
- 010417 - Added Landscape elements: Trees article by Eliza M Leahy
- 010414 - Added Egg tempera painting article by Grace Palmer
- 010412 - I -Mirar- am now editor of FARP, since Thomas is too busy
- 010128 - Added Drawing Manga - Page Layout by Jean Tsai.
- Medieval Castles by Aleksi Stenberg.
- Getting started with colored pencil by Tiffanie L. Gray .
- Chroma-Cell coloring effect in Photoshop by Aaron Bieber.
- 001230 - New article by Peter Keres posted, Coloring Pencil Drawings With Photoshop - Very interesting!
- 001029 - A wonderful dragon article; 'Dragon Anatomy and Muscular Structure' was posted today!
- 001028 - Posted 'Anime Humans, An analysis of style' by Candace Seu.
- 001025 - Our first writing article published, done by Jessica Ng Ying ying!
- 001023 - New article! Comic-Style coloring by Georgette Tan.
- 001011 - Posted a Skeletal Structure article done by Alexis Schmitt.
- 001010 - I decided to include writing into FARP too...
- 001002 - Added a new impressive article, "Flesh Tone Coloring with Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro", from Ice Maidens to Drow" by Maggie Wang!
- 001001 - Updated Bens Marker/Anime Howto (Pencils to CG).
- 000924 - Added two excellent articles. One about Drawing Dwarves by Dmitry Terner, and one about Painting with Paint Shop Pro by Cassandra A. McDaniel.
- 000919 - Mailed out a call for new articles to all Elfwood members.
- 000820 - New article: About Fair Use Doctrine by R. Bail.
- 000604 - New article added: 'What sort of paint should I start with?'
- 000519 - Sorry for the unacceptable delay in updating FARP. I will work on it now...
- 991020 - Three new, exciting, articles!
- 991004 - First photo reference article is now published, which documents the hand.
- 990919 - Added an article about Paint Shop pro lens flares by Risto-Matti J.Kääriäinen.
- 990820 - Two mailing lists for FARP created!
- 000111 - A new, great article by Ursula: Using computer programs for fantasy realism.
- 000106 - Two new articles, several new articles assigned!
- Sharp Inking and Effects by Alejandro Perez Muqoz.
- Colored pencil techniques by Tiffanie L. Gray.
- 991110 - One new article, and one update...
- Added new article about 3D and the computer as a fantasy artist's tool", by Ken Young, which in four chapters will focus on using 3D computer programs, paint and photo programs, and specific computer applications to create art, namely in a fantasy style.
- updated the article 'Getting started with colored pencil' by Tiffanie L. Gray
- 990813 - Yep! Summer sure did produced some really neat stuff:
- Watercolor is a medium that scares and discourages many people, because it is unpredictable, difficult or impossible to correct or change, it leaks, it streaks, and makes the paper buckle - in this Watercolor Technique article by Dmitry Terner, you will hopefully find a way of approaching watercolor that will hopefully eliminate many of the problems encountered and allow for an enjoyable creative experience. (Well worth the long download time)
- Susanne Jessup finally finished the newer and better version of the how to draw horses article. Well worth reading!
- A nice article on muscles and proportions by B.Zapf@t-online.de (Bastiaan Zapf).
- In the section of not-so-serious stuff, an email from the chat-list accidently ended up in my FARP inbox. What arrives there is published, ;-), so enjoy Sylvers list of FARP Oaths.
- 990715 - Summer is here. Hopefully, people will find some spare time to do articles - It was quite a while ago we got something new here :-) I have several skilled writers who have just signed up for various topics, so stay tuned :-)
- 990209 - New article by Jennifer (Bidlingmeyer) Osterman. Learn how to draw the sexes; differences between man and women.
- 990111 - Added the fourth entry (colours) of Gayle Birds drawing diary! Check it out!
- 990107 - New! Learn how to draw horses, by Suzanne.
- 990103 - Added A Diminutive Survival Guide to Oil Painting by Jade.
- 990103 - Added a new article in Williams' series on reflective materials, this one is about transparency and reflection
- 981008 - The first three sessions of Gayle Birds' drawing lessons diary is now published!
- 981008 - New "Inspirational Anime" article by Sylver
- 981005 - Added an article about artists blockage by Sylver
- 980925 - New article added: Figures and Costumes via References by Janet Chui.
- 980901 - A great Perspectives article added!
- 980830 - An essay about "the art" was added.
- 980827 - New: Introduction to acrylics by Stephanie Pui-Mun Law
- 980822 - The Face and head article has been updated!
- 980812 - Added information about how to color images using Photoshop.
- 980812 - Added a Guide to FARP article writers.
- 980812 - Added an article about Metal and reflective objects.
- 980807 - Added 'the principles and use of color' article today!
- 980806 - Another great article from Max, this time about Inking!
- 980730 - Added Bens anime/Marker how-to article.
- 980730 - Added an Article about dynamic composition!
- 980730 - The article about file formats (GIF vs JPG) is heavily updated.
- 981122 - New article by Andrea Baldwin - Selections in Photoshop using Channels.
- 981113 - The "Inspirational Anime" article was slightly updated.
- 981022 - A very interesting tutorial on Reflective materials and metal written by William Li was added today!
Go back to elfwood main page
| ||"Fantasy Art Techniques" by Boris Vallejo, Foreword by Isaac Asimov.|
I'd recommend this book even to those who seem to dislike the subject matter and style of Boris' work. Only a fool would deny that the technical execution of these paintings is superb. The artist takes you through the creation process, complete with illustrations, tips and step-by-step descriptions. If you want to succeed at painting in oils, look this one up and read it.
| ||A comprehensive encyclopedia of fantasy and science fiction art techniques.|
First published in 1996, this A-Z features professional tips and step-by-step instructions for a variety of styles, from horror to heroic fantasy and creatures to characterisation. There are entries on all major tools and techniques, such as acrylics, airbrush, animation & computer software, pen & ink and explanations on how to apply each one.
Back to the FARP main page.
The collection of art and writing tutorials in the Elfwood Fantasy Art Resource (F.A.R.P.) is a part of Elfwood.
The FARP logo was created by Miguel Krippahl (The muscular guy in the FARP-logo) and Thomas F Abrahamsson (The text and general graphic design). Those sections written by volunteers are copyrighted to Thomas Abrahamsson and the respective writer. Elfwood is a project once founded by Thomas Abrahamsson.
All rights reserved. Unauthorized Reproduction of the graphics, writings, and materials on these pages is absolutely prohibited! You may consider all material on these pages protected and copyrighted, unless otherwise noted. You may NOT use the images found at the FARP or Elfwood pages on your home pages! All of these images are copyright protected! Everything you see here represent the collaborative effort of the Elfwood community and Thomas Abrahamsson. Please read the Legal Disclaimer for more info on warranties/etc for these pages!