Elfwood is the worlds largest SciFi & Fantasy community.
- 152086 members, 7 online now.
- 13943 site visitors the last 24 hours.
(03/01/08) Has it really been so long? I've uploaded a few new things, all pencilled, inked, but not colored (yet). I'm waiting for my Cintiq. Ha!
Drawing has taken a different turn for me lately; I've got a good grasp on some things, but there are a few others that I have to 'fake', and I'm a bit tired of not being able to draw what is in my head. My weak spots are (among many):
* Men ... I'm hard pressed to draw a man who looks like a man rather than an unattractive woman.
* Figure drawing ... I understand alot about anatomy, what and where the muscles and bones are, which side of the ankle is higher than the other and the angle at which the legs attach to the pelvis. BUT.. I can't seem to put all of that together and draw the natural action of the human body without a physical reference. This is what keeps me from expressing my imagination the most. Live models are expensive!
* Hands ... A part of anatomy that I have a half grasp of. I'm able to make good hands sometimes, and usually (for whatever bizarre reason) only when the middle and ring finger are touching. But drawing the hand in action is a different matter, and one that I religiously avoid.
* Faces ... I can draw an excellent face if that is the purpose of my drawing. If it's an action scene or a full-body shot rather than a portrait, however, suddenly all of my skills go by the wayside. You can see this lack in all of my inked pieces.
* Perspective ... This is the one that terrifies me the most. Something about my artistic brain shrinks away from what is essentially a mathematical concept, even if one doesn't need to add numbers together. It's about measuring and straight lines, and I've really never done well with either of those things. I cook by pinch and dash, and prefer curls over crisp lines. But I will be endlessly resigned to the abstract photoshop-brush-background unless I learn to fabricate a context for the people that I draw.
Somewhere along the way I passed some point, and I stopped learning organically the way I have before. Art has always just come to me, I have never had to chase it. Now I look back at the last several years and realize that I am in some sort of stasis artistically, and it's going to require som actual work to get me out of it.
Well, the above isn't entirely true. The only reason I can 'half draw' hands rather than put in little blobby, uncertain circles is because one night I sat down with a book, some paper, and a pencil, and drew the hand references over, and over, and over, and over, and over... about four or five hours of overs. At the end of those hours, I'd gotten halfway over that hump. I didn't bother going the rest of the way.
I need to do some more overs. So, I set up the drawing table my husband gifted to me a few years ago but I never actually used for drawing. I resupplied, and took out all of the anatomy/figure drawing books I'd collected over the years and looked through but never really studied. Then I proceeded to draw male figures (two birds in one stone!) over, and over, and over... I'm filling up an entire book at them in different poses, and learning how the body works together and what movements are natural for it. The other day I drew a picture of a man running, in a fairly complicated pose. It's got alot of flaws, and I'm definitely not at my mark, but only a few overs before I wouldn't have known where to start.
First the figure drawing, then the hands. I've decided that I need to get off my butt and start learning. Even if it means getting out a t-bar.
(05/31/04) A few more things, mostly WIPs since I haven't really 'finished' much lately. I've got alot of things in the works, but I only uploaded the few I thought were close enough to finished to share.. let me know what you think!
(04/07/04) Two updates in less than a month?? Unheard of! I finally got back into a drawing kick. It's been a while. I uploaded a couple of older things, and some brand new things, one of which I finished just tonight. Alot of Shadowrun art. Trying to fill the void ;) Hope you like it!
(03/10/04) A few more things.. another Shadowrun drawing I did today.. a couple of works in progress that have been lying around in my sketchbook. Hope you like!
(02/21/04) I scrounged a little something up for you in this last update.. older stuff, mostly, that I've finally gotten around to coloring. Haven't had alot of time for drawing new things since I had my baby (on Sept 5th, a girl, Julia!)